The EmergingEdTech website contains a free eBook on the most recent deveopments of technology, and how they can be utilized in the classroom. The book itself, is really a plethura of links to any number of sites that contain various information on different types of technology and how they can be implemented. Among the topics I thought were the most fascinating were the use of iPads and smartphones in the classroom. I had some prior knowledge on the implementation of iPads, with many districts using them across the board, even replacing hard copy textbooks. The chapter of the eBook devoted to the iPad provided various examples of how helpful they can be, with links to various studies. Also included were specific ways the iPad can be utilized in schools. One of the coolest things I learned from reading this, was how easy it is to use an iPad as an electronic whiteboard. Links are also provided to websites containing information on how to acquire the cord necessary to hook up the iPad to a projector system. This can prove extremely helpful for special educators, as it gives a sensory tool to use with students, as well as ample opportunity for hand over hand activities.
The other topic I found fascinating was the use of the smart phone in classrooms. This can be a game changer in middle school and high school students. The eBook provides several links to sites containing strategies and other specific information on how to use smart phones to assist in education. This chapter was something of an eye opener for me, as I had never thought about this before. Something that teachers have been fighting for years now, can only be used to aid in learning, but also to keep students engaged. A student is likely to be much more engaged in something that interests him/her. That said, if we use smart phones (whether an iPhone app, or something else) we can win the students' attention back without fighting cell phone use. Some of the information provided in the eBook enlightened me about how many possibilities there are. Reading, writing, mathematics, it is all there. Even Twitter can be an aid in getting students to respond or answer quicker.
Click this Link for my answers to the 3 assigned questions for each chapter of interest
Eric, i too find the use of IPads and cell phones as being a game changer in education. I worked for a Pre-school inclusive program where we did use the Ipad and Itouch with 3-5 year olds. Children with special needs knew how to work the devices to a certain point and it was great for them. Also, i agree that it provides a great opportunity for fine motor skills to be developed. Another thing that you mentioned was that the ipad could be a whiteboard. I read that some apps let you play back what you did on the whiteboard. This would be great for peer tutoring. Overall, great job on this post.
ReplyDeleteIt almost seems as if everyone found the Ipad section interesting as well as I did. I did not however see the part where you could connect the Ipad to the SMART Board that is a really good idea and I will have to go back and reread that section again. I also want to read the part with the smart phones, and agree that we as teachers should pick our battles and need to use technology instead of trying to resist against it.
ReplyDelete