As this blog comes into fruition, I can see more and more where I might be able to utilize it in the future. Yes, blogs and education can work together for a common good, and I believe our society is headed in such a direction that bloggers such as David Warlick can have growing impact in years to come. As a preservice teacher I can see infinite possibilities for blog use in my future classroom. Not the least of which include homework assignments, student responses and even blog-based research projects!
Obviously the world we live in is changing. Textbooks are slowly being replaced by tablets, and whiteboards are giving way to smart boards. If we as educators are going to make a complete shift toward technology in the classroom, I think using a blog in the classroom is a no-brainer. In conjunction with other newfound technological goodies blogs put many things in the student's hands that kids tend to enjoy. When the student has to make a blog post for homework, it is much more appetizing than many of the alternatives.
I have to say that I am against young children using blogs or any other social media site i.e. Facebook. I feel that adults get themselves into trouble and the understand what they are doing for the most part, however children do not have enough life lessons to understand that somethings just should not be put out on the internet. I understand that they have to learn and I do feel that the teacher and parents should teach the children together how to use these tools. I have strong feelings about letting children period be apart of having their own blog or Facebook I realize that many people do not share this opinion. I do think that the teacher and parents being facilitators of the blog is the best answer. I think that we have to remember that all homes are not equipped with computers and/or internet.
ReplyDelete