This is the first of many posts on this blog in which I hope to highlight some important aspects of my learning in this class. That said, my Unit Plan has highlighted the importance of inquiry-based learning (IBL) and problem-based learning (PBL) through exploring the different levels of Bloom's Taxonomy as well as Gardener's Multiple Intelligences. Both of these learning concepts involve an emphasis on the student's individual learning experience, and puttin gthe student in charge of his/her learning outcome. In order for a student to learn effectively from my Essential Question (EQ) and my Unit Questions (UQ), it is paramount that IBL and PBL be implemented. to ask the question of
"what makes a good citizen?" without requiring of the students to investigate and delve intothe topic themselves would be silly. This EQ covers such a broad range of topics within one subject, and is a subject so relevent to children learning in today's society. Clearly while society may tell the student one definition of a good citizen, it is truly up to the individual to discover for his/herself what being a good citizen means to them.
EQ: What makes a good citizen?
UQ: What are some things a person should know about his/her country?
UQ: What can people do to avoid water shortages?
UQ:Why is good sportsmanship important?
I really like your unit questions! I don't think that we society teachers our children enough about how to act in society, I think that some where along the way we have forgotten how to teach our children how to be good citizens. I think that you could include math into this as well with data collecting and graphing. Having the students observe their surroundings when at a store like Wal-Mart or HEB.
ReplyDelete